About Child Theme
It’s recommended to install and activate also the Child Theme provided with Residence theme pack if you have in mind to make modifications to theme core files, or to translate the theme.
A child theme automatically inherits the parent theme’s features, styles, and templates.
This allows you to make changes to your site using child themes without ever modifying the parent theme. When a new version of the parent theme arrives, you can safely update it as all your modifications are saved in the child theme. A child theme built on a powerful theme framework allows a great deal of flexibility without writing a lot of code.
You can selectively modify only the template files and functions that you need without going through other template files. You can add new functionality and much more. (from http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/wordpress-child-theme-pros-cons/)
For more complex changes documentation, go to – http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
Please keep in mind that theme customization services ARE NOT included in the client standard support. Our support team cannot apply code modifications on your behalf.
Item support is a service provided directly by us through the FreshDesk ticket system. Support is limited to questions regarding the theme’s features or problems with the theme.
We are not able to provide support for code customizations or third-party plugins. If you need help with anything other than minor customizations of your theme, we suggest searching for a WordPress developer on studio.envato.com.
How to Install a Child Theme from theme pack
To get you started, we include in theme pack 2 versions of child theme
- wpresidence-child.zip – Basic child theme
- wpresidence-child-po.zip -This includes translations po from other clients which can be edited further, for clients who wish to modify the theme default language to a different language, or wish to modify the theme default English labels for other English labels. You can also add other child theme changes.
- Step1: Download “All Files and documentation” from your Theme Forest account
- Step2: Unzip the folder downloaded
- Step3: Install wpresidence theme – Read more hre http://help.wpresidence.net/article/theme-installation/
- Step4: Find in the theme pack downloaded from theme forest the wpresidence-child.zip folder
- Step5: Go to Themes – Appearance – Upload the wpresidence-child.zip folder and activate child theme.
Video how to install the theme included child theme
You can start adding CSS modifications right away.