Video Tutorial – How to install WpResidence
This help lists all the steps you need to do to be sure you’re installing your domain, wordpress and theme correctly.
Before Installing the theme
Before installing any WordPress theme, including WpResidence, you must have:
- – A hosting,
- – A domain and
- – WordPress installed on that domain
Choose a hosting company, and moreover choose a hosting dedicated for WordPress hosting. What we recommend is to avoid very cheap ones because those are very limited and to run a fast website you need more. But other than that, choose a plan you are comfortable with from costs point of view and that allows you to upgrade if you wish to.
Get your own domain. Hosting will help and guide how to set your new domain on your new server.
Install WordPress on your domain. Many web hosts can automatically install WordPress for you.
If you wish to do this yourself, check the following resources:
Download the Theme from your buyer account
The file you must download in in your buyer account from Theme Forest:
- “Installable WordPress File” – is the zip that includes only the theme files (wpresidence.zip)
- “All files & documentation” – is the zip that includes all the files offered with the theme (wpresidence.zip + recommended child theme + theme original property markers and more
Install WpResidence Theme
Install WpResidence via WordPress
- Step 1. Navigate to Appearance -> Themes
- Step 2. Click Add New and click the Upload button.
- Step 3. Browse to find the wpresidence.zip file on your computer and click Install Now
- Step 4. Activate Residence from Appearance -> Themes
- Step 5. Install the mandatory plugins from Appearance -> Install plugin. WpResidence Core Functionality is MANDATORY. Install this plugin before you activate the license!
- Step 5.1. Install the optional plugins included with the theme:
- One-Click Demo Import plugin is needed only when you import demo content. You can delete it after that. To import demo content you must activate the license too (step 6)
- Wp Residence Gutenberg Blocks Functionality plugin is Recommended if you wish to use only the new WordPress 5.0 Gutenberg editor with theme shortcodes as blocks. In this case, you don’t need to install the WpBakery Composer plugin at all.
- WpResidence Elementor Widgets – is optional and you should install it if you want to work with Elementor Page Builder (a free plugin which you install from WordPress Repository – https://wordpress.org/plugins/elementor/
- WPBakery Page Builder plugin is a 3rd party Premium Plugin is recommended if you wish to use the theme default demo content and edit the shortcodes and page content with this plugin.
- Ultimate Addons for WPBakery Page Builder – is a 3rd party Premium plugin that adds more shortcodes to the WPBakery Page Builder plugin
- Revolution Slider is a 3rd party Premium Plugin that can be used to create different sliders for header media. But it’s also optional.
IMPORTANT: The notifications from Visual Composer, Revolution Slider, or Ultimate Addons for WPBakery Page Builder that you need the purchase license code to get automatic updates are just for clients who buy the license. We bought the commercial license so we can offer these plugins for free to our clients with the WP Residence theme. All updates will be offered through our theme updates.
- Step 6. Activate the theme with your buyer license code – more here http://help.wpresidence.net/article/how-to-get-your-buyer-license-code/ This is done only once!
- Step 7. Add your Google API key for the map to work if you use Google Maps – More on how to get the key http://help.wpresidence.net/article/google-api-key/ You can also choose to work with Open Street Map – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/map-type-open-street-or-google-maps/#open_street
- Step 8. Save permalinks to Post Name for search redirect to work
Install WpResidence via FTP
- Step 1: Download only “All files and documentation”, unzip the theme pack, and find the wpresidence folder.
- Step 2: Upload the folder wpresidence folder contents to the wp-content/themes folder on your server – via FTP Manager
- Step 3: Activate the theme in the Appearance / Themes menu in WordPress Admin.
- Step 4: Activate Plugins from header notice and start using them right away.
IMPORTANT: Is MANDATORY to install Wpresidence -Theme Core plugin in order for Theme Options to show and work.
- Step 5: Activate the license – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/how-to-get-your-buyer-license-code/
- Step 6: Add your Google API key for the map to work – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/google-api-key/ You can also choose to work with Open Street Map – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/map-type-open-street-or-google-maps/#open_street
- Step 7 : Save permalinks to Post Name for search redirect to work
Activate the Buyer License
IMPORTANT: You must do this only once. This will not be required again for future updates unless you decide to reset the database and start over.
- 1. Login in Theme Forest with your buyer account.
- 2. Go to Downloads
- 3. Go to your purchase and select License Certificate and Purchase Code
Copy the buyer code from the text file
- 4. Activate the WP Residence Core functionality plugin
- 5. Paste the code in theme options and click the button “CHECK LICENSE”.
- 6. You will need the same license code to register for a support account in client support system – http://support.wpestate.org/
The Residence includes 8 plugins:
- WpResidence Core Functionality is mandatory and includes theme functionality and theme options.
When you install and activate the WpResidence theme you will get a notification message in your WordPress admin telling you of the required and recommended plugins.
Plugin installation & update notification
When you install or update Wp Residence, you will receive a WordPress notification message letting you know to install or update the required and recommended plugins. Please follow the on-screen prompts to install, activate or update.
NOTE: Licence code for Visual Composer and Revolution Slider is not included. However, you can use them freely or activate your license (if you have) to get a plugin update. This is the Envato policy, also authors of these plugins do not allow any theme developer to provide Purchase Code for third party plugins. Anyway, we provide plugins the latest version within theme update so your website will always stay updated and secure.
Import Demo Content
Many issues that you may run into such as white screen, your demo import fail and other similar issues are all related to low PHP configuration limits.
Check the Recommended PHP Configuration Limits
Check the full list of recommended settings: http://help.wpresidence.net/article/theme-wordpress-server-requirements/
- max_execution_time 600
- memory_limit 128M
- post_max_size 48M
- upload_max_filesize 48M