Install WordPress first
Many web hosts now offer tools to automatically install WordPress for you. However, if you wish to install WordPress yourself, follow the instructions in WordPress Codex or you can watch the Instructional Video created by LearnWebCode.
Download the Theme from your buyer account
“Installable WordPress File” – is the zip that includes only the theme files (wpresidence.zip)
“All files & documentation” – is the zip that includes all the files offered with the theme (wpresidence.zip + recommended child theme + theme original property markers and more
Install WpResidence via WordPress
- Step 1 – Navigate to Appearance > Themes
- Step 2 – Click Add New and click the Upload button.
- Step 3 – Browse to find the wpresidence.zip file on your computer and click Install Now
- Step 4 – Activate the newly installed theme by going to Appearance > Themes and clicking the Activate button.
- Step 5 – After you activate Residence you will see a notification message to activate the required plugins in the Plugins section of your dashboard. Visual Composer plugin is required. Ultimate Addons and Revolution Slider are Recommended. Same for the EWWW Image Optimizer
- Step 6 – Click on Install Button on each plugin to start installing them. After you’ve installed them, Activate them.
- Step7: Activate the theme – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/how-to-get-your-buyer-license-code/
- Step8: Add your Google API key for the map to work – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/google-api-key/
IMPORTANT: The notifications from Visual Composer, Rev Slider or Ultimate Add-ons that you need the purchase license code to get automatic updates is just for clients who buy the license. We bought commercial license so we can offer these plugins for free to our clients with WP Residence theme. All updates will be offered through our theme updates.
Install WpResidence via FTP
- Step1: Download only “All files and documentation”, unzip the theme pack and find the wpresidence folder.
- Step2: Upload the folder wpresidence folder contents to the wp-content/themes folder on your server – via FTP Manager
- Step3: Activate the theme in the Appearance / Themes menu in WordPress Admin.
- Step4: Activate Plugins from header notice and start using them right away
- Step5: Activate the theme – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/how-to-get-your-buyer-license-code/
- Step6: Add your Google API key for the map to work – http://help.wpresidence.net/article/google-api-key/
The Residence includes 3 plugins that will need to be installed and activated: Slider Revolution, WP Bakery Visual Composer, Revolution Slider. When you install Residence you will get a notification message in your WordPress admin telling you of the required and recommended plugins.
- Slider Revolution: This is a premium slider plugin created by ThemePunch.
- WPBakery Visual Composer: This is a premium slider plugin created by WpBakery.
- Ultimate Addons: A premium plugin created by BrainstormForce
- EWWW Image Optimizer: A free plugin created by Shane Bishop –
Plugin installation & update notification
When you install Residence or update Residence, you will receive a WordPress notification message letting you know to install or update the required and recommended plugins. Please follow the on-screen prompts to install, activate or update.
NOTE: Licence code for Visual Composer and Revolution Slider is not include. However you can use them freely or activate your license (if you have) to get plugin update. This it is the Envato policy, also authors of these plugins not allow any theme developer to provide Purchase Code for third party plugins. Anyway we provide plugins latest version within theme update so your website will always stay updated and secure.
The Child Theme
It’s recommended to install and activate also the Child Theme provided with Residence theme pack if you plan to make your own code modifications.
A child theme automatically inherits the parent theme’s features, styles, and templates. This allows you to make changes to your site using child themes without ever modifying the parent theme. When a new version of the parent theme arrives, you can safely update it as all your modifications are saved in the child theme. A child theme built on a powerful theme framework allows a great deal of flexibility without writing a lot of code. You can selectively modify only the template files and functions that you need without going through other template files. You can add new functionality and much more. (from http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/wordpress-child-theme-pros-cons/)
Please keep in mind that theme customization services ARE NOT included in the client standard support. Our support team cannot do code modifications for you.
Item support is a service provided directly by us through the FreshDesk ticket system. Support is limited to questions regarding the theme’s features or problems with the theme. We are not able to provide support for code customizations or third-party plugins. If you need help with anything other than minor customizations of your theme, we suggest searching for a WordPress developer on studio.envato.com.