Each new theme update sends a notification to buyers via Theme Forest market.
What to do before update
- Make sure you always check the update notes – http://help.wpresidence.net/article-category/change-log/
- Do a backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server, use the backup to revert to the previous state.
- Clear the cache after you update (theme cache and browser cache)
How to download the latest theme version
- Log in with your Theme Forest buyer account and Download the theme from under the Downloads menu.
- Choose only “Installable WordPress file only”
Update theme via FTP
- Enabled maintenance mode if your site is live. Use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, … etc.)
- Login via FTP. Go to “yoursite/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your wpresidence theme folder by saving it to your computer, or rename it (wpresidence_old). Your content will not be lost but note that if you have modifications to the theme code they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Inside Filezilla navigate to the WordPress theme directory “yoursite/wp-content/themes”.
- Retrieve the wpresidence.zip file from your recently ThemeForest download and extract the file to get the updated wpresidence theme folder. Or copy directly the wpresidence folder.
- Upload the wpresidence theme folder into “yoursite/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
NOTE: make sure you don’t copy theme files inside the previous theme folder and get duplicate files.
Next – if you had any special modifications done in the previous theme version you can copy from wpresidence_old backup to new wpresidence folder. But we would strongly recommend using a child theme for changes.
Update the theme via WordPress
- Deactivate the current wpresidence theme from the Appearance > Themes section
- Activating a different theme.
- Once you activate a different theme, delete the wpresidence theme. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
- Get the “wpresidence.zip” file from your Theme Forest – Buyer account section (Installable WordPress file only). If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation” from Themeforest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the wpresidence.zip will be inside it.
- Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme, Upload the wpresidence.zip and click on the “Install Now” button.
- After your upload is finished choose Activate the theme.
- Update all plugins
IMPORTANT: all your theme settings will NOT change during this process. But the language files (in wpresidence/languages) folder and any other code changes you had done directly the wpresidence theme folder will be deleted if you choose this method. Use the wpresidence-child-po for translations to avoid this. Help http://help.wpresidence.net/article/how-to-add-translated-po-files-in-child-theme/
Update all plugins
You DON’T need a buyer license to use these plugins. We purchased an extended license we give all our clients plugin updates through theme updates. There is only one license per purchase – so only we can use this license to get the updates and then share the update with our clients.
Update the plugins by clicking on the notification in header
Update the plugins only, without doing a theme update
- Step 1: Download the theme again from the Theme Forest account, where you initially purchased it. The download will be under your buyer account – Downloads. Download only “Installable WordPress file only”
- Step 2: Unzip the folder downloaded
- Step 3: Go to wpresidence/libs/plugins to take the latest plugins
- Step 4: Disable and delete the plugins from Admin – Plugins
- Step 5: Upload the new Plugins from Plugins – Add New – Upload – And activate