Please keep in mind that WPML is a multilanguage plugin which is paid. Must be installed and used separately from the theme. It requires admin translates everything manually from wp-admin.
Also, the support for the plugin is normally done by WPML as the support code is based on their documentation and instructions. They tested the theme before confirming it is WPML ready. If there are settings we know of how to translate, we help without issues. But if there are problems, these have to be fwd-ed to WPML plugin support.
WPML support – http://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/
Link to WPML public test site for that theme: http://theme-testing.wpml.org/wpresidence/
What is needed to run WPML on WP Residence
WPML Multilingual CMS – http://wpml.org/purchase/
WPML String Translation
WPML Translation Management
Getting started section: Installing & activating both WPML & the theme / plugin
- WPML getting started guide http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/
How to set and translate main features of the theme / plugin:
- Using translation management http://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/
- Translation Management & Features –http://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/translation-management-features/
- Translating URL slugs –http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-page-slugs/
Screenshots from WP RESIDENCE setup:
USE COPY FOR CUSTOM FIELDS AND FEATURES AND AMENITIES for these fields to be copied when using “Copy from x translation” option.
How to translate custom Taxonomies
How to add property Google Maps Pins to all languages
How to make Read From File YES – generate pins.txt file in all languages.
1. If you use Read From File YES (and I see you do) , make sure WP RESIDENCE 1.11.1 or above is your main theme because this one has an update for this read system + WPML and follow these steps. And make sure you have + WPML 3.2 or above.
2. Go via FTP to wpcontent/themes/wpresidence/pins.txt
3. Rename pins.txt to pins-en.txt for English
4. Create new pins.txt files for each language you have. Like pins-de.txt (German) where de is replaced with language code, and so on.
5. Go to Theme Options – Generate Pins. Click Generate Pins in every language.
6. Make sure you translate the Advanced Search Results page in every language.
How to Set-up WPML media so your images are translated when you’ll start translating properties
How to translate custom fields you add in Theme Options – Property Details, Property labels in Advanced Search, Property Fields Labels, Property Features and Amenities
For this you’ll use STRING TRANSLATION plugin. See below WPML references
- How to scan strings coming from the theme / plugin –http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/
- How to translate strings using String Translation –http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/
Screenshots from WP RESIDENCE
How to Translate a property with WPML, after you have done the above steps
How to Translate a blog post
How to Translate a page
WPML help for Visual Composer translation: http://wpml.org/2014/06/use-visual-composers-page-builders-wpml/
How to Translate Agent CUSTOM Post
How to Translate Widgets
The only widget that needs translation is Featured Property widget since WPML creates a unique ID for translations. For this widget we recommend to use WPML Widget plugin to display the Featured Property widget based on the property ID in each translation. The rest Widgets text translate with POEDIT for each language as those are default texts.
Contact Widget details are translated from String Translation.
WPML language switcher settings
WP Residence 1.031 and above
WPML version WPML Translation Management 1.9.6 and above
WPML String Translation 126.96.36.199 and above
WPML Multilingual CMS 188.8.131.52 and above
WPML Media 2.1.6 and above
Known WPML issue. Pagination on homepage is working only with specific settings:
WPML > Languages
Language URL format
Different languages in directories
Do not use advanced search results page template as homepage. Advanced search results is a page that should be accessed only after you hit the search button.
To add wpml-config.xml in child theme
When using a parent child theme the wpml-config.xml file of the parent theme will need to be renamed or deleted and the wpml-config.xml file of the child’s theme will be taken into affect.