The theme can be translated in any language with POEDIT. There are 2 .po files that must be translated
The child theme translation stays there in case you update the theme (update just the main theme)
If you change the plugin translation, backup your new .po and .mo before you update as your translation will need to be restored.
This help will show:
- How to translate with POEDIT
- Add or Edit existing translations in child theme
- How to translate strings that are not included in the po file.
- What to check if POEDIT translation does not apply.
- How to update the translation .po after a theme update
- How to translate the same .po files with Loco Translate plugin from wp-admin
How to translate the theme with POEDIT
Poedit is an application that must be downloaded and installed on your computer.
1. Download and install POEdit. Get the free version. You do not need Pro version
2. The language files can be found in
- wpresidence-child-po/languages and
3. Open the .po file and set the language according to the language set in admin-Settings-General
4. Start adding the translated words for each theme string.
5. After the translation is done, you need to SAVE and rename both .po and .mo files with the proper name (for example de_DE.po). If the file name is not right the translation will not work. See this link for the proper name.
- For wpresidence-child-po/languages . Ex: Your po should have the name language de_DE.po and de_DE.mo (for German)
- For plugins/wpresidence-core/languages/wpresidence-core.po Ex: Your po should have the language name wpresidence-core-de_DE.po and wpresidence-core-de_DE.mo (for German)
6. Upload the translated and renamed .po and. mo files
- wpresidence-child-po/languages – You should have now wpresidence.po, wpresidence.mo + your new language po and mo.
- plugins/wpresidence-core/languages/ – You should have now wpresidence-core.po, wpresidence-core.mo + your new language po and mo.
Check if the language file has the correct name – help here: http://wpcentral.io/internationalization/
Use The Existing Translations
33 languages are added (these are 100% translations machine done): Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, German, Greek, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Hindi, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Islenka, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch,Nederlands (België), Polish, Portuguese, Romania, Russian, Slovak, Slovenščina, Serbian, Spanish, Svenska, Russian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu – PAKISTAN, Vietnamese, Simplified Chinese
Step1. Download “All files and documentation” from your buyer account on theme forest
Step 2. Unzip the folder you download
Step3: Upload the wpresidence-child-po theme and activate it. Set the WordPress language in Settings
Step4: Edit the PO files inside the child theme with poedit and upload them in wpresidence-child-po/languages via FTP or upload Loco Translate plugin and edit the .po via wp-admin interface. Save the edits.
Step5: Edit the PO files inside plugins/wpresidence-core/languages the same way
How to translate strings that are not included in the po file.
THERE ARE SEVERAL ITEMS THAT TRANSLATE FROM THEME OPTIONS:
a. For Property Details, Property Features, Property Address
These labels are managed from Admin – Theme Options – Listing labels.
b. For Property Features & Amenities –
Please go and edit them in Admin – Theme Options – Listing Custom Fields
c. For Property Fields – custom fields –
NOTE: Some default properties fields are managed from POEDIT (Address fields, Bedrooms, Rooms, Bathrooms, Size, Property Size). The rest are managed from admin.
d. For Advanced Search labels – custom fields,
Managed from Options – Advanced Search
Note 1: If you don’t have custom advanced search enabled, all fields are translated in POEDIT.
Note 2: Dropdowns (All Cities, All Areas, All Types, All Listings – are managed only from POEDIT).
Update the .po translation after a theme update
Step1: Open up your existing language PO file with Poedit software.
Step2. Go to
Catalog and select
Update from POT file
Step3. First, change the file type option to
All Files, then select the new wpresidence.po PO file from latest theme update folder
Step 4. Once the import is completed, all the new string from the new PO file will be added and your existing (translated) string will remain intact as well.
Step5. Finally, proceed to translate all the new string into your preferred language. Save. Move the updated .po and .mo language file back to wpresidence/languages or to child theme languages folder.
How to translate the .po with LOCO TRANSLATE PLUGIN
You can use Loco Translate to translate the theme to your own language from wp-admin.